The Procedure for Obtaining Online Marriage Registration in Delhi
In the year 2015 Government had launched a Digital India campaign to make sure its services are made available to every single citizen electronically by way of improved online infrastructure. Further, the reason behind this was to make our country digitally empowered in the field of technology. So, with such initiatives, many cities and states have made the facility of obtaining online marriage registration.
Further, the registration of marriage acts as evidence that the marriage had been solemnized between the two concerned parties. Moreover, it is significant to note the marriage certificate is required not only for the procedure of divorce. But the same is useful while applying for many government documents after marriage, i.e., Passport, PAN, and Visa.
Furthermore, it is significant to note that the marriage between two Hindus is governed under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. Whereas the Special Marriage Act is relevant to all Indian citizens regardless of their religion.
Whom to approach for Marriage Registration?
The Sub-Divisional Magistrate under whose jurisdiction the marriage has taken place or where either of the spouses resided for at least six months prior to the marriage is to be approached for the reason of registration of marriage.
What are the requirements concerning Online Marriage Registration?
All the marriages which were solemnized in Delhi comes under the ambit of the Delhi (Compulsory Registration of Marriage) Order, 2014 regardless of the religion, caste, or creed of the spouses engaged. However, there are certain prerequisite requirements which are to be mandatorily complied with if a marriage is to be registered within NCR. Hence, the following listed are the essential requirements that make couples qualified to apply for a marriage registration or even record their marriage in Delhi.
- The Groom must be of 21 years
- The Bride must be of 18 years
- Two witnesses are required (three are required in case of marriage solemnized under the Special Marriage Act)
- Neither of the spouses should have a legal and living spouse while applying for the second marriage.
- The marriage itself must have taken place in Delhi.
- Either of the spouse must be a Delhi native or has an address proof within Delhi.
- According to the Hindu Marriage Act, if in case a wedding is to be registered, then both the spouses must be either Hindu, Jain, Buddhist, or Sikh.
- Both the spouses must give their valid consent, freely and without any coercion, fear, external force or aggression.
- Spouses should not belong to any type of prohibited relationship until and unless the said custom is permitted by law.
What are the Documents Required for obtaining online Marriage Registration?
The following listed are the set of documents required for obtaining online marriage registration in Delhi –
- Application form
- Age Proof – Matriculation Certificate (10th Class), Passport or the Birth Certificate
- Address Proof
- Aadhar card
- Affidavit in the prescribed Performa
- Two passport-sized photographs
- One marriage photograph.
- Marriage invitation card
- Certificate from the priest
- Any witness with a valid PAN Card and Aadhar card
- Attested divorce decree or the death certificate if in case it is a second marriage
- A conversion certificate if in case applicable
What is the Procedure for applying Online Marriage Registration?
The following listed are the steps involved in the procedure for applying online marriage registration –
- In order to apply for an online marriage registration in Delhi, the applicant is required to visit the official website, i.e., http://edistrict.delhigovt.nic.in/
- Now, click on the option stating ‘Make Appointment with DM.’
- Register on this portal.
- Then the applicant is required to select the district as per the geographic jurisdiction.
- Now, Fill in the details about both husband and wife.
- Select the option ‘Registration of Marriage Certificate.’
- Now, Fill in all the required details.
- Select the date of the appointment.
- Thereafter submit the concerned Application form.
- The applicant will be redirected to an acknowledgment page having details of the appointment as well as instructions.
- The concerned applicant can now take a printout of this Acknowledgement page.
- After that, complete the due process at the registrar’s office.
- Collect the issued marriage certificate.
- The total time needed for the issuance of a marriage certificate is approximately 15 days.
What is the Fee charged for the Online Marriage Registration Certificate?
|An event of Hindu Marriage Act||100|
|An event of the Special Marriage Act||150|
The charges or the fee imposed must be deposited with the cashier of the District, and the receipt should be attached with the said application form.
Is it possible to obtain a Marriage Registration Certificate on Tatkal Basis?
Yes, The Delhi Government in the year 2014 had created a tatkal service that works to issue a proper certification of the marriage under an expedited process. Further, the Tatkal service is a fast track single-day authorization of the marriage in which the said registration process will be taken on a priority basis. Furthermore, this service helps citizens to register their wedding and get a certificate issued within a period of 24 hours by just paying Rs. 10,000 as a fee.
Getting married is an easy task, but getting your marriage registration is much easier. Nowadays, newly married couples often ignore getting their marriage registered. But in order to safeguard our interest as well as the interest of our partners, we must make sure that we complete the marriage registration procedure.