How to apply for renewal of FSSAI License?
In India, it is important for a food business operator to get an FSSAI License before starting a food business. Most people don’t know that the renewal of the FSSAI license is also important. FSSAI License is valid for a period of 1 to 5 years. Before the expiry of the license, the food business operator has to get renewal to maintain a steady flow of business.
The Ministry of Health and family welfare governs food business in India. They regulate the food businesses by granting FSSAI license under FSSAI Act.
Renewal of FSSAI License
When the food business operator files the FSSAI license application, then he has to decide the period of validity. FSSAI License is valid from 1 to 5 years depending upon the choice of the food operator. The Fees for the license also depends on the number of year of validity. As per the guidelines of FSSAI, one needs to apply for renewal within 30 days of the expiry of validity. The procedure of both the license and renewal is the same for FSSAI.
If the food business operators fail to file the renewal on time, then Rs. 100/- per day is charged as penalty. Additionally, if the business entity has not applied for renewal, then the license will be considered expired. If the license expires, then he has to apply for a fresh license in order to restart the business. Therefore it is always advisable to get FSSAI renewal on time in order to avoid penalties.
Who needs a Renewal of FSSAI license?
- Restaurant etc.
FSSAI Renewal Procedure- Offline and Online
Procedure to renew FSSAI offline
FSSAI license renewal online
To ease the functioning of the food industry government has given an option of an online renewal procedure. Following are the step by step guide for FSSAI License renewal online-
- Firstly, visit the official website.
- Login Username and password
- Thereafter, click on “Apply for Renewal for License/Registration” and proceed further.
- Submit all the forms and the documents.
- After submission of the Form, you will get a reference number for future purposes.
Types of Renewal of FSSAI license
There are three types of renewal-
Basic FSSAI License Renewal
It is applicable for all food businesses under basic registration. The renewal fee is Rs. 100 to Rs. 500 depending on the number of years chosen.
State FSSAI License Renewal
The State FSSAI license renewal is available for all food business operators who have a State FSSAI License. The renewal fee depends upon the kind of food business and the validity of the license.
Central FSSAI License Renewal
If the food business operator has a turnover of more than Rs. 20 crore then they come under FSSAI Central License. Additionally, they have to get a Central FSSAI License Renewal before the expiry of their validity.
What is the government fee for Renewal of FSSAI license?
Following is the government fee for renewal for one year-
- Central License – Rs.7500 for one year
- State License – Rs.2000 for one year
- Registration – Rs.100 for one year
Documents Required for FSSAI License renewal
Documents for Basic FSSAI
- Passport size photograph
- Identification proof
- PAN Card
- Address proof
- Papers of property or rent agreement
Documents which are required for State or Central FSSAI License
- Passport Size photo
- Identification Proof
- PAN Card
- Address proof
- Property related documents like Rent agreement or NOC (if business property is rented)
- List of directors, partners, proprieties along with other details
- Partnership deed/MOA/AOA
- NOC from manufacturer or municipality
- Form IX nomination of persons by the company along with board resolutions.
What will happen in the case of non-renewal of license?
In case of non-compliance, the business operator has to pay the penalty for non-renewal of license. If you do not want to attract the penalty, then keep the license up to date and apply for Renewal of FSSAI license.
How to renew FSSAI License after expiry?
If your FSSAI license has expired, then the only option is to apply for a fresh license.
FSSAI License renewal application status
The applicant can check the status of an application-
- For checking the application status, go online, and click on “Incomplete application and License/Certificate.
- A detailed Report for Central or State Licenses incomplete applications would appear.
- The applicant has to click on the proceed further and complete the application.
- If the applicant has to submit Form B, then upload Form B.
- Additionally, if the applicant wishes to delete the application, then they can also delete it.
The application will be canceled if the application involves invalid business or if the applicant has filled the wrong state for premises.
Time Duration for getting FSSAI renewal
A Basic FSSAI registration can be renewed within 7 days. If the food business operator has a Central or State License, then it will take around 30 days to renew. However, one can continue doing the business if they have submitted the application.
Important Factors for FSSAI License renewal process
- An FSSAI registration is valid for a period of 1 to 5 years. One has to apply under Form A or B of Schedule 2 for the request for renewal of registration. One can apply for the license 30 days prior to the expiry date.
- In case the food business deals with meat or milk, the source of the raw material is to be mentioned.
- It is mandatory for Hotels to get the FSSAI License. Therefore, they have to keep a check on renewal date for their license.
- Non-renewal for FSSAI license would lead to a penalty.
- The status of the FSSAI License renewal application can be checked online.
It is vital to renew the FSSAI License to carry on the food business. Maintaining the food quality should be the most important duty of any food business operator. Therefore, the food business entity should apply for the renewal of the FSSAI License in time.
For more information regarding FSSAI and FSSAI Registration, you can contact our team of lawyers at LawyerINC.